I was reminded of what it is like to have a small child to care for 24/7.
Here's how today went...
My sweet little grand daughter woke up and immediately asked for breakfast.
I washed her little hands and face and made her breakfast while she got dressed. She loves to dress herself.
After she ate, I cleaned up while she changed her outfit. I picked up her clothes, washed her hands and face again and brushed her teeth.
We played "babies" and I read books to her. She wanted to change her clothes again. I tried to convince her she looked beautiful in what she had on, but she changed anyway. (When she changes her clothes she gets ALL of her clothes out.) I picked up her clothes again and helped her pick up the toys. While I made her lunch, she changed her clothes again...yes, seriously! (She's just like her mother was at that age.) While she ate, I picked up her clothes. Then, I washed her hands and face. While I cleaned up after lunch, she changed her clothes. I picked up her clothes and remembered I didn't comb her hair yet, so I did that. Her hair is curly and tangled, so it took awhile. We played with some toys, worked on her abc's and numbers, and read more books. It was extremely windy today so we didn't go outside. She asked for a snack and a drink. While I got that, she changed her clothes. I had her help me pick up the clothes this time. I hid her clothes...or so I thought. We played, read books, sang songs, talked, etc. While I made dinner, she found her clothes and changed again. She helped me set the table for dinner, we ate then she helped me clear the table. While I cleaned the kitchen, she changed her clothes a few more times. Did I mention that when she changes her clothes, she changes everything...including undies, socks, shoes, hoodie...EVERYthing!
Time was ticking away so I gave her a bath, combed her hair, brushed her teeth, and had her put on her pjs - praying she would keep them on. I read her a bed time story and tucked her in.
All throughout the day, more often than she changed her clothes, I reminded her how much I love her, gave her lots of hugs, and told her how special she is.
She's sound asleep
I'm wiped out.
The clothes and toys are on the floor.
My laundry didn't get finished, I didn't run the sweeper, I didn't make phone calls I needed to make.
However,
I'd say I had a very productive day investing in the life of a sweet little princess. The laundry will be there tomorrow, as will the sweeper waiting to be used. I can make the calls tomorrow. But today - I chose the thing that was most important. The thing that will last forever and ever...she will always remember today. I know she will because I remember my grandma doing the same thing for me.
2 comments:
oh wow...her mother must have tons of laundry to do every week. Sounds like a wonderful grandma day
Yes, Dianne. She has lots of laundry. My daughter told me she tries on every dress in her closet every single day. She's definitely into fashion!
I enjoy every moment with her and our grandsons.
Post a Comment